7/30/13

Album Review: Weight Of Your Love by The Editors

"The Weight". That's what the dark and heavy first track of the new Editors album is called like.
The Editors? That has been a long time since we last heard of them!
But why haven't we heard anything from those British indie rockers for such a long time? Their last album, "In the Light and On this Evening", came out in 2009. Have they seriously been working on their new album for almost four years?
No, of course they haven't. After quite a lot of tours and great plans for a new album in 2011, the guitarist Chris Urbanowicz announced he wanted to leave the band. The new album would be more of a electronic album, and that was something the guitarist obviously didn't really like.
Would they split up? No, splitting up is a verb you won't be able to find in the singer Tom Smith's dictionary.
Just like the album said; An End Has a Start. It was the end for the guitarist, but a fresh start for the rest of the band, and two new members;  Justin Lockey and Elliot Willams.
After lots and lots of work, the band finished the new album on April 8 2013. The album would be remastered, and would soon be ready for sale.
And now, July 2013, The Editors' new album is like a dream coming true. Isn't it?

But, back to the first track "The Weight".
Quite a lot different from "The Weight" by The Band; they were probably thinking about something feather lite. But The Editors seem to have written a song about the weight of five pick-up trucks!
Nice drums, melancholic guitars on the background. And then; Tom Smith's voice, deep and  full of emotion.
Just like we expect from The Editors; deep, dark an mysterious songs. I can't wait to hear more from the album.
The next track, "Sugar", starts really nicely. Good riff on the background, really exciting. On this track I can hear very clearly that they've got a new guitarist. Their sound has changed a lot since the old guitarist left the band. The sound of the guitars is not as clear and sharp as it used to be. Now the sound's a lot heavier and darker, and really reminds me of that American indie from the nineties.
Very surprising is the track "A Tone of Love"; there are lots of instrumental details and variations on the song, which I really like. Hey, can I hear some American influences again? Yes, the track sounds a bit R.E.M.-like to me. 
The track builds up well, and is very original, both on the instrumental as the lyrical aspect. A real power-song, a perfect one to start your day with!
But after all that energy, we really ought to have a rest. That's entirely possible by hearing the tracks "Honesty", "Nothing", and "What Is This Thing Called Love". Beautiful violins and a soft and calm drumbeat on the background. Perfect.
But, we're rudely woken up by the next track "Formaldehyde". Again, a delicious (haha) bass-riff. Very innovative, totally not close to the old Editors sound.
"Hyena" though, reminds me of their earlier songs. The tracks gives you the same feeling as "The Racing Rats", but this one's a bit calmer, and doesn't have a climax, which I really miss. Without that climax, the song gets a bit boring.
"Two Hearted Spider" was written when the old guitarist was still in the band, and you can hear that very clearly, if you compare the track to the songs on their earlier albums. I really love the track.
You've got a nice climax in this song, which makes the song an even bigger success. I think this will be a real festival hit, because it's such an emotional and powerful song.
We can have a  rest again with the next track, which is called "The Phone Book". 
The album ends with a track called "Bird Of Prey", the ideal end of the album, in my opinion. The song's quiet, but also very strong and powerful.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

The album is a success, we all know it. But does it still sound like The Editors, after the guitarist left the band? That's something I'm not sure about. The songs are less original, too. 
But that doesn't mean that the album isn't good. To me, this album represents the resurrection of The Editors.
Keep an eye on them, those Editors.



Rating: 7/10

7 comments:

  1. Did you do zero research for this review? Editors last album was the amazing 'In This Light And On This Evening' in 2009!! It's very electronic, mainly due to the influence of the former Guitarist Chris Urbanowicz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies! You're right, I forgot about that one. I'll immediately change it! Thank you for reminding me ;)
    (I did do research though, but I just didn't read well)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, this might be their resurrection. I gave them 5/5. But I might not be objective since they are in my top 5 bands. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, nice!
    What's your top 5 bands? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No music taste is cliché :)
    It's really hard to choose, but I think it's Queen, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Beatles and Arctic Monkeys (in random order). But there are so many other bands I love, like The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Coldplay (of course!), REM, Pearl Jam... And of course some real horrorshow psychedelia and shoegaze, and quite some other stuff, mostly from the sixties/seventies.
    But my taste also varies from time to time :)
    Have you ever been to a concert/festival?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your taste! They all would be in my top 10 (now I sound like a hipster). But for those guys (Queen, Nirvana and Pink Floyd would be mine) I have special category - they are my monuments, parents to all bands I like. Does that make sense? What I want to say is that without them, there would not be many bands I like today or, at least, they would not sound like they sound.

    You mean on concert of those groups? (If yes, I was on the most of them, and every year for past 6 years I go on at least one festival)

    BTW Arctic Monkeys' AM is soooo good. Makes you addicted. They were at InMusic festival last June and they really kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man! How could I forget to mention Floyd!
    You're right, they are real rock monuments ;)
    Really nice to hear that you like going to concerts! I also adore that!
    I've already got tickets for Friday July 4th at Rock Werchter, so I can see the Arctics again, haha! I really can't wait!
    I still need to write a review of AM. I kinda forgot about it; I bought it right on September 6th, just to write a review about it as quickly as I could, but I really didn't have any time...

    As you can see I don't update my blog that often, because I've got loads of stuff to do, but I'll catch it up after the test week (so in about a month). I'll write a big AM review for you, okay? :) (although it's terribly late for that, but yeah. Maybe I'll just include some nice live features or tour news)

    What are your favourite festivals?

    ReplyDelete