3/2/14

Live Review: The Office (as support act for Jett Rebel), Nieuwendijk, March 1st 2014






 I don't often write about new, promising bands anymore, but I really felt like I had to share this one.
Yesterday night I went out to see The Office, an Utrecht-based britpop/indierock band, play at Xinix Nieuwendijk.
Although they were Jett Rebel's (one of the latest 3FM pop sensations, you should check them out, they're really rad, especially live) support act, they are the main subject of this review, simply because I was so amazed by everyone's skills and the energy the band had.
Last night was the band's first performance together (and even the singer's first ever gig!), and that turned out pretty rad!
They played for about forty minutes, had quite a nice setlist, and made a good choice to end with their first single "I Can't Dance".
The band really managed to get the audience to listen and enjoy their music, what's not an easy thing to do, especially when it's your first gig together.
Although they were quite nervous before the concert (according to the somewhat awkward silences backstage, haha), they really didn't show that whilst performing.
Of course there were some songs that made less impact on the audience than others did, but there was certainly a good ethos, and you could see everyone was enjoying it, the band included.
The bassist asked me to be very critical in this review, which is quite difficult for me now because I enjoyed it such a lot, but I have to admit there were a few small flaws (small mistakes in the rhythm section, a few wrong notes...), but that's natural.
What I really like about the band is that they have their own soud; I can't really compare it to other bands, and if I'd do so, I'd say it's something like early Arctic Monkeys b-sides/Definitely Maybe-Oasis era/early Kings Of Leon (like Molly's Chambers).... Well, let's just say I cannot really describe it.
I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing them again, but according to the fact they're really ambitious, I definitely will.

I'll give them an 8/10; good job guys!

You can listen/download their first single here:
http://theofficeband.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/theofficeband/i-cant-dance
and on iTunes and Spotify, soon to be available on Amazon, Google Play and Xbox Music.

See them live on March 20th 2014, in MEZZ Breda. Entrance free.

(Oh, and thanks for the great evening. And Jett, your shoes were awesome too, don't worry.)




0 reacties: