6/22/13

Best Kept Secret Festival: Day 1

The Maccabees performing last night
So, I survived day one of Best Kept Secret Festival!
I have to admit I was quite nervous at the beginning; would they let me in or not?
Luckily, they did. I got a nice pink (I actually hate the colour pink) wristband, and passed the security gates flawlessly.
We (me, my cousin, and two good friends) got an information booklet, which included the timetable and the map.


We came across stage two first, the stage on which Macklemore and Ryan Lewis would perform later that day.
The festival is held at the Beekse Bergen (located next to the zoo, and a nice lake), and I must say this is definitely one of the best places for a festival; you've got a forest on the right, a lake on the left, and a big field in the middle.
Because we had not eaten since twelve a.m. or something, we decided to go and buy ourselves some food.
(It was quite a shame you could only pay with special coins, that cost 10 euros for five, which is quite expensive.)
Because we didn't have that much money to spend, we bought ourselves the cheapest food we could get; french fries.
I need to admit those were the best fries I had ever eaten.
We went to stage one to see The Maccabees, and ended up standing in the front row!
During the concert, the guitarist even winked at my cousin and pointed at me, after which the singer nodded and raised his hand whilst looking at me.
I just melted, haha!
After having seen the Maccabees' amazing performance, we bought ourselves some drinks, and sat by the lakeside.
Meanwhile, Bloc Party started to perform.
I had never really listened to Bloc Party (I only knew their best known songs like Banquet), but I think they're quite good, actually.
But we were getting quite tired, and decided to go to the forest, and sit down on one of those extremely comfortable swings. (Yes, they had swings attached to the trees!)
Alex Turner Performing at Stage ONE
After a while, we went to stage one again, to make sure we'd be in one of the front rows during the Arctic Monkeys' performance.
And... we made it!
But during the performance, we actually wanted to be more at the back of the crowd, because it got "quite rough", haha.
I was just stunned by the Arctic Monkeys. You know, they sound good on their albums, but live...!

I especially liked the older songs, like "I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor", "Mardy Bum", "Cornerstone" and "When the Sun Goes Down".
The performance was just amazing.
By the time their performance ended, we were just smeared with mud (it had not rained all day, though).
We headed for the car, and drove back home in silence; we were exhausted!

And now, I'm preparing for day two; I'm definitely looking forward to see Two Door Cinema Club, Alt-J, Allah-Las and Balthazar!

I'll upload my own videos and photographs when the festival's over.
This is the video of the entrance and Do I Wanna Know?, you can find videos of the the rest of the performance on YouTube.










5 comments:

  1. Really cool! I wish I could see the Arctics once... I love their new album!! The video of the performance doesn't work though, which is a shame.
    On what guitar does Alex play in the beginning (Do I Wanna Know?), actually? I can't figure out.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    I'll post a new video.
    Alex plays a VOX Teardrop twelve-string guitar, only on Do I Wanna Know?. During the rest of the performance he used a Fender Jazzmaster '65 Electric, and a Gibson J- Standard Acoustic (for the semi acoustic set).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I love the video too! Is it yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, it's not mine. I didn't have the time to make a proper video, and I ended up in some mosh pit, so I would have lost my phone if I did, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. -yellowsubmarine changed profile to SHA-

    ReplyDelete