9/24/12

Album Review: Babel by Mumford and Sons

Yeah, finally; their new album "Babel" is out now!

So; here's my review: I really like the album cover- art; it looks very cozy, and really folk- ish.

A few minutes ago, I inserted the CD in my computer, and even before I could walk back to my computer screen, the immense feeling of happiness fulfilled me; they've made another beautiful album.
And I knew this just by listening to the first track, called "Babel".

The first two tracks (Babel and Whispers in the Dark) are actually quite calm, but the third one, I Will Wait, is very bright and happy.

The fourth track is called "Holland Road". I've listened it once on YouTube before the album was out (Mumford and Sons called it "Home" at that moment),and to be honest; there's a big difference between the song they performed live (before the album) and the song on the CD. The difference is actually that big, I didn't even recognize the song! And, I think, it's a shame they changed it so much; I prefer the "live- edition".

The fifth track is very quiet. It's called "Ghosts That We Knew", and is very sad.

Track six, Lover Of The Light,is also very calm, but sounds very bright. A real Mumford and Sons song, very beautiful!

Lovers' Eyes, track seven, is quite nice, but it sounds a bit like the band didn't know what to do with the song; it just doesn't really fit on the album. It's just not very original and a bit boring.

Track eight: Reminder. This one sounds very original again. A bit sad, but so beautiful...!

The next track is "Hopeless Wanderer". I had already heard/seen a live performance of it on YouTube, and this one hasn't really changed. Such an emotional song; beautifully written, and again a real Mumford and Sons song!

Track ten is called Broken Crown, and really sounds like one of their songs on their first album. It sounds really dark and sad.

''Below My Feet" is the next track. Really, the beginning of the song is just perfect!I really like this one!

The last (well, last...) track is called "Not With Haste". I really like the song, because it's got a very good structure.

But; I've got the album with bonus tracks!

So... Bonus track one: For Those Below. The song's very serene, and cozy. I really like the end of the song! (with the violins)

Bonus track two: The Boxer. The song is originally written by Simon and Garfunkel. The description on the album told me Mumford and Sons have recorded the song with Paul Simon himself, very beautiful song; a real classic!

Bonus track three: Where Are You Now. Also very quiet and calm. A bit sad, but well written.

Rating: 9/10

1 comment:

  1. Definitely! I really loved seeing them live last year :) Let's hope they've gone back into the studio!

    ReplyDelete