10/17/12

New album reviews!

Part three of my London adventures; new albums!

On Saturday, I went to HMV to buy new CD's, and there was a big sale! (so, be fast, CD's are very cheap now!)
I bought these albums:
-Wall Of Arms (Maccabees)
-Shields (Grizzly Bear)
-Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not (Arctic Monkeys)
-Lonerism (Tame Impala)

So; review one!
Wall Of Arms is one of the Maccabees' best albums, I think. Some of the songs are very quiet and lovely, like "Young Lions", "One Hand Holding", "Love You Better" and "Wall of Arms". 
But the songs "No Kind Words", "Kiss and Resolve", "William Powers" and "Can You Give It" are a bit more powerful. I really like the whole album. 
The only thing; I've seen a Maccabees gig on Youtube, and the singer sings very insecure and he seemed to be very stressed. But you really can't hear that on the album.
A must-have for indie fans!
Rating 8/10

Review two; Shields
This album by Grizzly Bear is not much better than their first album, I think. 
I really like their quiet songs, like "Sleeping Ute" and "Yet Again". I also like the rest of the album, but I think these two songs are much more original than the rest of their new songs. There's too little contrast between the songs, which makes the album a bit boring. I actually expected more when I first heard "Yet Again". 
Not the best album, but it still sounds good, though.
Rating 5/10

Review three; Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not
I really think this is the best album the Arctic Monkeys have made. The album was released in 2006, quite a long time ago, but I think people will always regard this album as a classic. The album includes the hits "I Bet You Look Good at the Dancefloor", "Mardy Bum", "When the Sun Goes Down" and "A Certain Romance".
I really like the lyrics of "When the Sun Goes Down"; they're very original, even though the song is about love, considering love is the most chosen subject for songs.
Also a must-have for indie rockers! (:
Rating 8/10

And the last one; Lonerism

A very dreamy album by Tame Impala. It really sounds like a mixture of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and a little bit of Nirvana. I know this sounds like something you'd never buy, but they've got a very original sound!
I really like the album cover, it looks very bright. All songs have the same "highness" as Pink Floyd albums, which makes the songs very relaxed. I especially like the song "Apocalypse Dreams", but it's quite difficult to explain why. They're just all very good.
So; if you like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, and psycho-cosmic-indie, you should buy Lonerism!
Rating 7/10  



0 reacties: