9/16/12

First Review; Sheer Heart Attack (Queen)

Hi there!

I'm not going to introduce myself, so let's just begin... :)

Maybe you wonder why this blog is called "Sheer Heart Attack"; 

Sheer Heart Attack is an album by the band Queen.
It was their third album, and it was released on november 12, 1974.
And now, I'm going to write a review of this excellent album:

Track one; Brighton Rock, written by Brian May (guitar, vocals)

 Well, first, I'd like to say Brian did a great job; he composed an astonishing guitar solo. Not just a simple solo everyone could just reproduce, but four minutes of greatness! Quite difficult to remember I guess... 
I also really like those fancy fair-sounds in the beginning of the track; typically Brighton!

Track two; Killer Queen, written by Freddie Mercury (vocals, piano)

Just perfect. I really can't tell you more than this, just listen :)

Track three; Tenement Funster, written by Roger Taylor (drums, vocals)

To be honest; I don't really like the song. It just doesn't have that Queen-sound.

Track four and five; Flick of The Wrist and Lily of the Valley, written by Freddie Mercury

Just another beautiful example of that typical Queen-style; I really like the part when Brian May starts singing along, but very low. It sounds extremely dark, and that combines really well with the lyrics ("work my fingers to my bones, I scream with pain, I still make no impression). Lily of the Valley is the second part of Flick of the Wrist, and sounds incredibly sweet compared to Flick of the Wrist.

Track six; Now I'm Here; written by Brian May

Some say this song announced Brians comeback after he had to stay in hospital for a very long time. I still wonder what "Down in the dungeon, just Peaches and me" means. Does anybody know it?

Track seven and trirteen; In the Lap of the Gods, written by Freddie Mercury

I really think this is a very strange song. The introduction is the strangest part; the song starts with Roger Taylor "singing" (well, screaming), and that sounds quite awkward, to be honest. I like the rest of the song, but it's not my favourite. In the Lap of the Gods revisited (track 13) is a much better song, it think. It's the last song on the album, and that's quite a good choice.

Track eight; Stone Cold Crazy, written by Freddie Mercury

I really can't tell you more than this; it's a real sonic vulcano, with very good lyrics!

Track nine; Dear Friends, written by Brian May

So sweet! I think he plays the piano very well. It's quite a sad song, but worth listening!

Track ten; Misfire, written by John Deacon (bass)

This is an extremely happy song John Deacon wrote for his wife. But it doesn't really have that Queen-sound, again.

Track eleven; Bring Back that Leroy Brown, written by Freddie Mercury

This is just pure excellence. Come on, who could write such an original song today? I bet nobody will be able to reproduce this masterpiece. It's quite strange that not many people have heard about this song; most of them only know Bohemian Rhapsody (another masterpiece Queen wrote. Pure perfection).

And the last one;

Track twelve; She Makes Me, written by Brian May

A very serene song, which ends very strange; the last minute of the track makes clear that something happened to the girl the song was written for. It's seems the girl had an accident, or maybe a "Sheer Heart Attack"? 

I hope you liked the review!

P.S. Here's a link to the full album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-0n7gUb5Dk


Rating: 9/10






0 reacties: